“New Green Possibilities” International Online Forum
2021-07-19 - 2021-07-30 All day
In the context of the Bangkok Design Week 2021 hosted by the Creative Economy Agency (CEA), the International Urban and Regional Cooperation (IURC) programme of the European Union and we!park, a partner of the Green Bangkok 2030 initiative of the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA), will organise a series of activities aimed at advancing dialogue and multi-stakeholder cooperation on green urban development.
One of the activities planned for this event is an international online forum titled “New Green Possibilities”. The idea is to explore the different elements that will lead to new possibilities for more green space to be created in an urban environment. These elements include government policy and public engagement in policymaking and project development; the support from the private sector that recognises the value of green public space; and the involvement of the education sector in discussing and sharing new knowledge and theories. Any development should be a multi-stakeholder endeavour engaging the networks of different players for cooperation.
The “New Green Possibilities” forum will consist of four sessions, namely Policy Talk, Platform Talk, Business Talk and Design Talk, featuring city officials, urban designers and planners, landscape architects and property developers as well as business executives from Europe and Asia who will share their visions and ideas for development of green urban space and introduce innovative green designs and projects. The target audiences are city officials, landscape architects, urban designers, academics and students, and the public at large who are interested in taking part in new possibilities for green infrastructure development.
The online forum will be hosted on Zoom on 19-30 July 2021, 15:00-17:00 hrs. Bangkok time (GMT+7).
Opening Ceremony: Monday, 19 July 2021, 14:40-15:00 (GMT+7) / 9:40-10:00 (GMT+2) / 16:40-17:00 (GMT+9)
- “New Green Possibilities” video introduction
- Opening speech by the EU
- Opening speech by we!park
Policy Talk: Monday, 19 July 2021, 15.00-17.00 (GMT+7) / 10.00-12.00 (GMT+2) / 17.00-19.00 (GMT+9)
The Policy Talk will invite city officials and urban planners to share their respective city’s vision of green urban development and exchange ideas on policy and incentive mechanisms.
- Hamburg: Thomas Jacob, Head of International Project, Senate Chancellery, Senate of the Free and Hanseatic City of Hamburg; and Brigitte Köhnlein, Deputy Head, Department of Federal, European and International Affairs, Ministry for Environment, Climate, Energy and Agriculture, City of Hamburg
- Rome: Patrick Maurelli, Senior Advisor, Risorse per Roma SpA
- Seoul: Young-Chang Cho, City Transportation Office, Seoul Metropolitan Government
- Bangkok: Wirat Manasssanitwong, Director-General of Environment Department, Bangkok Metropolitan Administration
Peeradorn Kaewlai, Faculty of Architecture and Planning, Thammasat University
Platform Talk: Friday, 23 July 2021, 15.00-17.00 (GMT+7) / 10.00-12.00 (GMT+2) / 16.00-18.00 (GMT+8)
The Platform Talk will highlight key “platforms”, or initiatives and networks, that promote green urban development through a multi-stakeholder participatory process and how they can be sustained and scaled up so that more green spaces can be developed in urban areas.
- Rome: Daniela Patti, Managing Director of Eutropian
- Milan: Piero Pelizzaro, Chief Resilience Officer, Department City Resilience - Environmental Transition Direction, Milan Municipality
- Penang: Sofia Castelo, Lead Environmental Resilience and Climate Change, Think City
- Bangkok: Yossapon Boonsom, Founder of we!park
Supitcha Tovivich, Chairperson of asa CAN, and an academic at the Faculty of Architecture, Silpakorn University
Design Talk: Wednesday, 28 July 2021, 15.00-17.00 (GMT+7) / 10.00-12.00 (GMT+2) / 17.00-19.00 (GMT+9)
The Design Talk will introduce innovative green development concepts and successful projects from different cities and further enhance a network of Thai and international urban designers.
- Madrid: Magdalena Rozanska, R&D Projects Engineer and Coordinator, Acciona
- Barcelona: Ignacio Arizu, Expansion Director, GINA Barcelona Architects
- Singapore: Leonard Ng Keok Poh, Country Market Director, Ramboll Singapore
- Shanghai: Weijun Zhang, General Manager, Ewaters Environmental Science & Technology
- Bangkok: Prapan Napawongdee, Landscape Architect, Shma Company Limited
Pratarn Teeratada, Editor-in-Chief and Advisory Director of Art4D magazine
Business Talk: Friday, 30 July 2021, 15.00-17.00 (GMT+7) / 10.00-12.00 (GMT+2) / 17.00-19.00 (GMT+9)
The Business Talk aims to further engage the Thai business sector, particularly large conglomerates, in green urban development, showcasing private projects that are contributing to more green space in Bangkok.
- Bangkok: Sasawat Soontaros, Manager, PTT Reforestation and Ecosystem Institute
- Bangkok: Chai Srivikorn, President, Ratchaprasong Square Trade Association (RSTA)
- Bangkok: Worawat Srisa-an, Vice Chairman, Frasers Property Thailand
- Bangkok: Ornruedi Na-Ranong, Founder of Nye Estate / Association President of We Love Silom
- Bangkok: Karndee Leopairote, Executive Vice President, FutureTales Lab, MQDC
Yossapon Boonsom, Founder of we!park
Read the highlights, watch the videos and download the presentations:
- IURC Asia & Australasia kicks off thematic webinar series with “New Green Possibilities” international forum to promote development of green urban space – International Urban and Regional Cooperation
- Platform Talk: Platforms as a mediator for urban development – International Urban and Regional Cooperation (iurc.eu)
- Designing for better, greener living – International Urban and Regional Cooperation (iurc.eu)
- How the private sector can contribute to more green public space – International Urban and Regional Cooperation (iurc.eu)